Code of Ethics
I abide by The Coaching Academy’s code of ethics which promises its coaches will:
- Always conduct themselves to the highest levels of ethics, integrity, accountability and responsibility.
- Treat all clients and potential clients with absolute dignity, confidentiality and respect as free and equal individuals.
- Maintain the good reputation of the coaching profession in general and the Coaching Academy in particular.
- Comply with both the spirit and the letter of any commercial agreements made with clients, potential clients, professional colleagues.
- Make commercial agreements with clients and potential clients that are fair and will respect all parties to such agreements.
- Represent true levels of status, title, competence and experience in order not to mislead, misrepresent or defraud.
- Clearly state to clients and potential clients the terms of any commercial agreement including the expectations of both parties.
- Make no claims or implications of outcomes that cannot be demonstrated or guaranteed.
- Obtain written permission from any client or potential client before releasing their names as a source for testimonials
- Respect the absolute rights of the client’s confidentiality, except as expressly permitted by the client or potential client in writing or as required by law.
- Recommend different coaches or resources when these will be more appropriate to the client’s needs.
- Avoid all conflicts of interest and advise the client on the risk of conflict if a relationship moves beyond a coach/client situation (For example a personal or business relationship).
- Refrain from offering professional information or advice that you know to be confidential, misleading or where the accuracy is beyond your competence to assess.
- Endeavour to enhance public understanding and acceptance of professional coaching.
- Share skills and experience with fellow members and associates of The Coaching Academy to further increase the body of knowledge, skills and competencies of such parties.
- Respect all copyrights, agreements, work, intellectual property and trademarks and comply with all laws covering such areas.
- Avoid coaching minors (people who have not yet had their 18th birthday) without the express written consent of parent, guardian or teacher as appropriate.
- Comply with all laws and by-laws of the UK and, if coaching clients based abroad, with the laws of the clients’ country.
- Ensure that all advertisements and promotional material whether verbal or written, are legal, decent, truthful, honest and in compliance with the requirements of the UK Advertising Standards Authority.
- Make a copy of this Code freely available to clients if they request it.
The Coaching Academy Code of Ethics had been issued by Carole Deighton who qualified as a Professional Coach (with distinction) after attending The Coaching Academy’s Coach Training Programme.